Our first activity with a new Relief Society Activity Coordinator and me as the councilor over her was a huge success. We did and activity we called 100 Dresses. We found a lot of the ideas on sugerdoodle. For anyone planning a Relief Society Activity or even Young Women's activity this was amazing.
Here is how it went down…
100 Dresses Relief Society Activity
- We started by letting the sisters know a couple months ahead to save their dresses or daughters dresses that were in good condition that they might not wear anymore.
- We had a teacher in the ward donate 35 books of the story 100 Dresses, a really sweet story about a little girl that wishes she had beautiful dresses. She is an great artist and draws a hundred dresses and then tells her friends she has 100 dresses in her closet. It is a sweet story of showing love and kindness and forgiveness.
- The committee looked for someone to donate these dresses to. We found a women's shelter that was very excited about getting them just right in our community.
- We passed the books around until everyone that wanted to read them got a chance
- We passed out really cute invites that had old fashion pictures of women in dresses. We made them on Photoshop and printed them really cheap at Costco.
- The day of the activity we met at the church and decorated with all the dresses hanging around the gym. We also decorated each table with left over tulle and white table cloths with vintage looking decor such as hat boxes, shoes or other vintage things as the center pieces.
- We also had a few people bring a special dress to talk about.
- The night of the activity the women came and we had a pot luck where people brought their favorite recipe.
- Then we thanked them for coming and our committee leader talked about the book
- Then we had people share stories of special dresses.
- Had dessert and took some fun pictures!
- Then the next day we counted over 100 dresses and other pieces and then took them to the shelter where they were very grateful for our donation.