I joined a group in my area called (City Name) Area Online Yard sales. It’s a Facebook page where people (mostly women) post stuff they are selling. Let me just tell you how awesome this page is. You can yard sale in the comfort of your own home at any time of day! You can set it up so that all the posting are emailed to you, or so that just your friends posting are emailed to you or so that you actually have to go to the page. I decided to try it out yesterday and sell something. I sold 2 things in a day and made $50 bucks!
I used to go yard selling a lot when I moved here, but was always so frustrated because I am the kind of yard seller that only goes for specific things, and 99.9% of the time I would NEVER find what I wanted and come home being frustrated that I even wasted the gas going. So I stopped going, and I stopped getting good deals, and I started buying things at full price…..until now. A couple days ago a girl was selling 3 American Girl Dolls in perfect condition for only $40 each, and clothes for $5. I could not believe it, I jumped on and asked for the Samantha Doll (which by the way, they don’t even sell anymore, so she is worth way more than $40.) My daughter is going to love this come Christmas time and now I am 1/3 done with her Christmas shopping (remember my kids get 3 gifts and stocking stuff). Anyway, then today I bought well over $200 dollars of clothes for only $65 (3 jeans, 11 shirts, a dress and some leggings)! I was stoked! I also bought a bike for $10 for my niece! I will totally use this way more than craigslist now! Posting is super fast and way easier than craigslist, and you can barter and talk people down back and forth! It is awesome. So if you live in my area, you have got to join, and if you don’t you should start your own page in your area. It is a great way to earn money, clean out your house, and buy stuff you actually need. Another great thing about it is if you need something you post it on there like “looking for baby swing” and then 20 people say “I have one, I will send you a picture”! Isn’t that cool?!?
Just incase you are wondering how to set up page on Facebook go “Create a group” on the left side and make it a closed group and then start inviting your friends, who will invite their friends and so on! For these sites, it is a good idea to have rules as to what is posted. And to make it an invite site so that you have to be approved to be invited, so you hopefully don’t get any weirdo's. Here are the rules for the site that make it really nice and not crazy (these are taken from my areas yard sale page).
- Anyone posting more than THREE (3) items in (1)one DAY, NEEDS to post it in an album. This will make for less traffic on the wall.
- Also, you MUST PUT THE DESCRIPTION OF YOUR ITEM IN THE CAPTION AREA. NOT THE COMMENT AREA
- DO NOT POST ON ANOTHER MEMBERS PHOTO THAT YOU HAVE THE SAME ITEM*** MAKE YOUR OWN POST!!!
- BUMPING AND RE-LISTING ITEMS.
- RULES FOR THE SELLER- Seller makes the final decision on who gets the item.
- SALES PENDING-If you are selling an item and you're just waiting for the sale to be completed, PLEASE be sure to post *SALE PENDING.* That way, we are aware of the item's status and it will prevent "excessive commenting and questions" on the post and page.
- AFTER THE SALE –Delete your item!
- Please keep in mind that this is a "yard sale" Not an Expo So, PLEASE DON'T post items or crafts that you personally make and sell for profit or professional services, or business related items on here.
- REMOVAL FROM GROUP - Members of the group that disregard these guidelines, will be asked to remove their post. Also If a member continues to disregard the guidelines, they will most likely be removed from the group.